Accurate Professional Insurance Brokers CC will always adhere to the following guiding principles when dealing with personal information that comes under its control:
1. Accountability: The company takes responsible for personal information under its control and designated an Information Protection Officer to ensure that the business complies with the requirements of the legislation.
2. Identifying Purposes: The company will identify the purposes for collecting personal information at or before the time the information is collected.
3. Consent: The company will only collect, use or disclose the personal information of any person with such person’s knowledge and as accorded by law.
4. Limiting Collection: The company will only collect personal information that is necessary for the identified purposes.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: The company will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with consent or as required by law. The company will keep any personal information only if necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
6. Accuracy of Information: Personal information will be as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
7. Safeguards: The company will protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
8. Openness: The company will readily make available specific information to individuals about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. Individual Access: An individual will be informed upon request of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and will be given access to that information. An individual can challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and make requests to have it amended.
10. Challenging Compliance: An individual can address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated Information Protection Officer.
Accurate Professional Insurance Brokers CC adopted a POPI Policy in compliance with the legal prescripts contained in the POPI Act, the FAIS Act & Code and the Policyholder Protection Rules (Long- and Short-term Insurance Acts). Electronic copies of the policy are available by request from the Information Officer.
COMPLIANCE WITH SECTION 18 OF POPI
We subscribe to an openness regimen when processing information in terms of Section 17 of the POPI Act. We perform the following functions in compliance with Section 18 of the Act:
1. We take reasonable steps to ensure that data subjects are aware their information is processed as we will only collect personal information directly from the data subject. Under exceptional circumstances personal information may come from a third party but if this happens, we will ensure the data subject is aware this information was shared with us.
2. The purpose we collect and process personal information is to render a financial service to a person/user (consumer of financial services) and for no other purpose, except where there is a legal duty on us to process information, such as compliance with the Financial Intelligence Centre Act.
3. Some of the information we collect from you is mandatory as it is contractually required by insurers and failure to collect such information may preclude us from rendering the required service to you.
4. Collection of certain personal information is prescribed in law, such as the Long- or Short-term Insurance Acts, the Collective Investment Schemes Control Act, the Medical Schemes Act, the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, etc.
5. Processing of personal information takes place in South Africa as information is shared with insurers, medical schemes, investment houses, etc. Personal information is only shared internationally upon the specific instruction of a data subject, such as for international investment purposes.
6. Any data subject has the right to access the personal information we hold and may object to us holding such information, subject to the proviso we may not be able to render the required services if we cannot hold or process the data subject’s personal information.
7. Where a data subject’s personal information is processed outside of the original specification or it is further processed, the data subject may object to this processing. We however undertake to inform any affected data subject of such processing and recognise our legal duty not to perform such actions without such written consent.
8. Our Website.By using our website you consent to the use of personal information as described in this policy, for the purposes outlined above. Should you share any information regarding other parties with us, you must have the authority to do so, and to allow us to use the information as outlined above. By using our website you agree to the privacy policies as described in this document. If you do not agree to the policies, please do not use our website.
9. If you have any questions or complaints concerning your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
10. A data subject may complain regarding processing of personal information to the Information Regulator at complaints.IR@justice.gov.za.
11. We reserve the right to amend this policy at any time, please visit our website to view the latest policy document.